Monday, March 19, 2012

Day 95 - Sunday March 18, 2012

Arrianne said people at church ask her if Bridgett is getting better.  Since she's been sick it's been harder to tell for sure.  However, I pointed out to Arrianne something I guess I had just pointed out to Mark over a week ago; I'm pretty sure I blogged about it as well.  Bridgett's language is doing awesome.  She never uses those fake words any more.  The kids even tried using some of the words and she looked at them like they were crazy!  So, that's one big improvement!  Also, she is acting more like herself all the time.  She wanting to do things that she liked before, like walking.  Anyway, bit by bit we are seeing her get better, it just seems slower sometimes because we are living it day by day.  We sometimes have to remind ourselves that this is an injury that heals slowly--it's not like a broken bone that will heal in 8-12 weeks (usually- huh Arrianne!).    Also today she did something that was kind of scary but an improvement.   I had to run to Walgreen's (basically three blocks away) to get some Boost early while everyone was asleep because the only flavor we had left was vanilla and late last night we found out that she doesn't like it.  Bridgett woke up and smiled at Arrianne.  Then she said she was getting up and Arri asked why.  I'm going to the bathroom to shower she said in a kind of duh tone of voice.  This is actually the first time she's asked to shower; usually I just tell her it's time to shower.  Anyway, they headed to the bathroom--we still don't let her walk alone anywhere because of passing out and also she's weak still.  When they got to the bathroom, Bridgett told Arrianne to not to come in--she showers alone.  Arri tried to explain to Bridgett but she didn't believe her that people come into the bathroom with her and finally Arri called to Tyler and Stephany and they convinced Bridgett that I was headed home to help her shower and that Stephany could come in with her to go to the bathroom.  I was luckily headed home so got here fast and right up to help her in the shower.  It was actually kind of funny!  Anyway, that's a big step forward. Today she chose Boost for breakfast and lunch, but when we had dinner we had mashed potatoes and she wanted some!  That was exciting.  She sat and ate them herself and we all tried to act casual even though we were cheering inside.  The last time she had anything besides Boost she was so weak I had to spoon it in her mouth. Anyway, when she had eaten some of the potatoes she said she was done, but she drank a Boost afterwards.  So this is how meals usually go--I offer her two different things for each meal--like you can have yogurt and toast or eggs and toast for breakfast.  Or maybe I just say how do you want your eggs--scrambled or fried?  Then when she says no to those things I try maybe oatmeal or malt-o-meal.  Then I finally resort to a choice between one of those things or Boost.  I try to make things that Bridgett already loved before--like french toast or cinnamon bread toasted, but these things are a no go right now. Giving her choices is kind of like reverting back to when she was small.  You never say do you want to do this--but rather now we are going to do this (like leave to an appointment).  Or give her two choices to choose from is what I usually do.  Even when the kids were little I always gave them choices so that they could learn how to make choices.  Anyway, most of the time all these things work--it's just been a little crazy since the passing out episodes and her getting sick--she has not acted like she usually does. But like I say, things are getting better every day and I am feeling better about things all the way around. My mom came over to visit this afternoon while Bridgett was napping. Actually it worked out well because this way we were able to spend quite a bit of time visiting. Before she left I went in and woke up Bridgett because she had been napping for three hours and needed to wake up anyway. She also got to say hi to Uncle Mike and Christian.  Jenn came over to visit in the evening and we all had lots of fun laughing and talking.  The girls showed Jenn some of their silly camp songs and Bridgett was right in the middle of it all doing the motions with her hands although she didn't want to sing.  Her throat is still hurting so I'm sure that's why.  About 8:00 she wanted to go to bed, although the kids coaxed her to stay up later.

2 comments:

  1. As someone who uses Blogger a lot, I can't see any links in the body of the story. The only orange text I see is the title, time, and comments, and those are supposed to be orange, so I think you're fine.

    Thanks for updating the blog so faithfully! I really appreciate, and so do Bridgett's friends. Tell her I said hi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jacob. I guess it just showed up on the laptop I was using this morning which is not the one I usually use. Weird! I removed the note at the heading. I will definitely tell Bridgett hi!!

    ReplyDelete