Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Day 124 - Monday April 16, 2012

Today we had speech therapy and physical therapy.  LeAnn asked me to bring in Bridgett's book that I made telling about her life.  We spent some time going through it.  Bridgett remembers some things...she USUALLY remembers her birthday, although today she thought the month of her birthday was October, she remembers her family (usually), etc.  She does not remember her favorite color or food etc.  LeAnn thought the book was great.  Eventually she did tell me that she had one client who was a young father who never got his long term memory back but he learned a new life and was happy.  She said to not worry about the old memories just move forward.  I said what about all that long term information in her memory--22 years worth.  Then I asked Bridgett to repeat the 13th article of faith.  I gave her the first words and she did it fast and flawlessly.  Also the quote from Thomas Jefferson.  I said these things are long term memory and she said yes.  LeAnn said that Bridgett is obviously remembering some things.  She said just move forward and perhaps more will come back at some point.  Anyway, Bridgett had to go to the bathroom and she remembered how to get there from LeAnn's office and that was a first.  At home I yesterday I started doing this--she always asks where is the bathroom even though we go there MANY times a day so now I say see if you can find it and she always does.  She has lost the confidence that she can find things or remember things.  LeAnn and I told her to just guess at things--she's usually right.  So, we are slowly working on that.  We went over the ipad games that Bridgett has been working on and there were some that LeAnn hadn't seen before.  She said that the naming app is very good because it also asks you to describe and categorize things.  I knew that was good from talking to Shar.  After speech therapy I had Bridgett try to walk us the right way to Physical therapy--it's quite a little walk down several halls--and she did just great on that too.  Physical therapy went well.  Bridgett walked on the treadmill for a while.  Next she walked the beam for balance followed by walking a line on the floor frontwards and backwards.  Next she hit a balloon in the air in front of her as she walked down the hallway.  Then Shane did some stretching out because Bridgett's back was hurting.  She said that he believes the pain is just the brain signals confused because none of the muscles have any tension.  Shane talked to Bridgett about using the therapy pool next session and it was decided that we will do that.  After therapy she was cute because I told her that Tyler was back from drill so in a few minutes she said can I go home and see my brother Tyler?  The rest of the day Bridgett was alert and happy.  She visited with everyone and she was very sweet and cute.  She stayed awake late although she did take a very short cat nap on the couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment