Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Day 48 - Tuesday January 31, 2012

Last Friday afternoon I spoke to the patient care coordinator, Narges, and she said that they consider Bridgett at Rancho five. However, I went to talk to her because of another issue and after discussing it she said this is good, she is probably farther than we think. So, this is the issue. Bridgett continues to remember things about her wreck. It's so hard and I really hate that she is remembering this particular memory. It seems to be sparked by having Arrianne here, probably because they were living together and she always told Arrianne where she was riding and when she'd be home etc. Anyway, after therapy was over they were visiting in the room. Bridgett was resting in bed. Stephany and I had gone down to the cafeteria to grab some lunch. Bridgett turned to Arrianne and said that man kicked me in the head so hard I thought I was going to die. You mean the man that hit you on your bike Arrianne asked. Bridgett said he didn't even say he was sorry. He didn't even tell me that and he should have. Tears started down Bridgett's face. It's OK don't cry said Arrianne. Bridgett said maybe he is sorry and doesn't know what to say. (p.s. I'm trying my best to remember the exact conversation without Arri here to refresh me) Then she said I thought I was going to die. Maybe I am going to die still. Or maybe I'll be here for like four years. She was still crying. Arri said Bridgett don't cry and Arri started crying. Bridgett then said I'm sorry. I don't want to make you cry and tried to stop crying. Arri was very upset. As soon as I came back, Steph came into the room. I got stopped outside by the social worker. When we were done talking Arri came out in the hall and told me what happened and she was crying. I started crying too. Then when Mark got here we left the room and I told him. I also told him what the social worker said about outpatient rehab. I said I had wanted to talk to Narges and that Bridgett's doctor would be gone for a week and the resident would be gone for the weekend. I was worried she'd be upset all weekend. So, Mark and I went to talk to Narges and she said this is good. Not good because it's sad, but good because her brain is trying to remember things. She set up an appointment for Bridgett to meet with the neurophychologist. This will be good. We need direction as to how to handle it when she talks to us about this. For now, we just reassure her that everything is OK and that she is getting better all the time and that soon she will be home. Also, as of last Saturday, they started Bridgett on an anti-anxiety drug so that she won't be all upset and cry more. Hopefully she will be able to process things in a calm way.
Today I met with the neuropyschologist.  He talked to me about what Bridgett has been experiencing regarding memories of her accident.  He concurs that it is a good thing that she is remembering things (even though we wish she didn't have to remember this) and he said that he feels good that she is not consumed with anxiousness, seems to be responding to social cues (telling Arrianne not to cry, that she wouldn't talk about it anymore) and seems to be responding to assurances from us that she is safe and doesn't need to worry.  He is going to start catching her around the rehab daily and trying to build up a rapport with her and so that she will feel more comfortable if and when she wants to talk about anything.  So, anyway, it was good talking to him. He gave me suggestions and we are already doing all of them, so he said we are doing a great job, just to keep it up.  For example, he suggested a tactile object to comfort her (she has her pillow pet here and is sleeping with it lately), familiar music to listen to (we have her ipod here with her favorite music to listen to, which we do daily), helping her feel safe here and reassuring her (we stay with her 24 hours a day, and reassure her that one of us is always here, so she can rest and relax knowing that things are ok), listening when she wants to talk and reassuring her (we do this).  So, we'll just keep it up I guess!  By the way, Bridgett's balance is really getting good.  Today was a great day in physical therapy!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, you are dealing with so many complex issues. And not only are you doing all the right things, it seems you know beforehand what those things are and are doing them before anyone tells you to. I'll say it again, Bridgett is so blessed to have the family she does.
    I want you to know how much I admire you all, and the grace and strength you have shown in such difficult circumstances. I have learned so much by watching your family. Thank-you for being such wonderful examples, all of you.
    We love you and our prayers are ever with you.

    ReplyDelete