Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Day 69 - Tuesday February 21, 2012

Tonight one of Bridgett's friend came by, someone she met at institute this year.  He came up often to the ICU to check on Bridgett.  He never came in, because he couldn't, but he still came up often for updates from the family etc.  Anyway, Bridgett was so glad to see him.  She said I to him--I saw you twice, sitting with everyone and talking, but you couldn't see me so you didn't talk to me.  He said you mean before the accident? Or lately?  Where?  I had this feeling so I said in the hospital or somewhere else?  She said in the hospital very matter of factly.  (actually she has been talking lately about things that happened during the period she was in a coma--more on that later)  It's something we have contemplated--where is the spirit when the body is in a coma?  Does it leave the body?  I remember asking Mark about that and we decided that the spirit can leave, but remains close to the body.  Anyway, it's something to think about. We got out our phones and showed him a picture of Bridgett while she was in the ICU.  Even though I look at these pictures from time to time, it always has an impact on me.  The picture we showed him was not even one of the worst ones.  I vividly remembering that early morning, Thursday the 15th, when we all arrived to be with Bridgett.  Even though only two people were allowed in the ICU, they bent the rules and let our whole family in (minus the grand kids).  There we all were hugging and crying and praying.  I remember having this total convincing feeling that she would be fine and that we just needed to endure.  It's one of those moments in time that we will all remember.  Just a couple of days ago Arrianne told me something that I didn't know until now.  Actually she didn't know it until just before we moved to this apartment.  Jenn and Arrianne were decorating with a welcome home poster for Bridgett and putting up balloons.  Jenn then told Arrianne that she was thinking back to that night when Bridgett arrived at the ICU.  There was a time when a nurse took Jenn aside and when Jenn came back in she was sobbing and from that moment on she kept talking about Bridgett dying, like it was going to happen.  Arrianne couldn't figure out why and even when we arrived she said she didn't know why Jenn keep saying that.  In fact, other family members said the same thing later and we couldn't figure out why.  Well, apparently that nurse took Jenn aside and told her that Bridgett was NOT going to live but they hoped she would make it until we showed up.  WOW!  That explains a lot as far as what people said or did.  No one ever told me that (or maybe I just didn't let myself hear that), although they did paint a very bleak picture.  Perhaps because she had made it for 12 hours they held out a little hope.  Anyway, all along the way I know Bridgett has surprised people and she will keep doing that!!  We are living the miracle of seeing her healed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment