Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Day 221 - Sunday July 22, 2012

I had sent an email months ago to Inez, the mother of Emily Berner --Arrianne's friend who was in a wreck about three days after Bridgett and had many injuries including a TBI.  She sent me a cell number to call her and I lost that number and just found it again yesterday when looking for some other papers. so anyway this afternoon I gave her a call and had a very nice and informative conversation with her.  She is all about figuring out the financial aspect of things.  She got Emily on SSI disability right away and they get $600 a month from that.  Also, she applied to have the state pay the medical insurance--while keeping her on her own policy it sounded like to me.  Now she is working out getting paid to be the caregiver for Emily.  She had advice on working with the insurance company for me as well.  We also talked therapy.  They are going to the Summit therapists and Inez says she's not too impressed there--I didn't talk about our experience but just said we moved elsewhere.  One difference--Emily is still in a wheelchair--she broke her pelvis in her accident.  They take her in the therapy pool a lot which works out perfect at the Summit.  Anyway Inez said that the best thing they do is horse therapy.  She talked to me a lot about it.  It's very expensive and insurance will not cover it--$95 per session.  They go once a week.  She said it's great for TBI and helps with all areas of the brain.  She said that they got people to donate money to pay for some of the sessions (48) and also got a scholarship from the people that do it to pay for more sessions (65).  Anyway, they love it and she invited us to come watch any week we want to.  I don't think we can go this week but I think we will try next week.  Something to think about--although the thoughts of having Bridgett on a horse and worrying about falling and hitting her head again are a little scary!

No comments:

Post a Comment