Monday, October 15, 2012

Day 303 - Friday October 12, 2012

Yesterday at the eye doctor I asked a questions about Bridgett's optic nerve that is pale; I keep forgetting to ask anyone when I actually have Bridgett at the eye doctor.  Anyway, my question is why is the nerve pale--what does that mean?  He said that once an optic nerve is damaged it doesn't get good blood flow and it then looks pale.  I looked this up on the internet for an explanation:

"The optic nerve is the place in the back of the eye that sends all the vision messages to the brain. If something happens to it, it stops working. That is called optic nerve atrophy. Atrophy means “worn out.” The eye doctor can look at the optic nerve through the pupil. If the optic nerve is atrophied, it looks pale instead of pink."

He said that generally if the nerve is pale it won't work correctly and it is unusual that her eyesight has improved so much.  He was impressed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment