Monday, November 5, 2012

Day 325 - Saturday November 3, 2012

Today was much like any other day until early evening when Bridgett started having very severe kidney pain.  I should say that she has been having kidney pain off and on for a few weeks but since she has passed three stones before, we kind of know the drill. Anyway, this evening the pain was much worse and I gave her a Lortab at 6:00 because the pain level was at a four and then I had to give her a second one at 7:00 because the pain was at a five. Then by 8:00 the pain was still rising.  We were walking to try to help the pain and every other minute Bridgett would whimper or make a crying noise and her legs would go weak from time to time.  We decided we had to go into the emergency room.  Bridgett did not want to go but finally the pain got bad enough that she agreed; she said it felt like the stone might be passing.  Mark and Tyler gave her a blessing, we loaded her into the back seat with the heating pad (my car has an outlet to plug directly into the car for electricity) and I sat beside her and off we went; of course it takes about 40 minutes from our house.  We got her all checked in at the emergency room and that took awhile to get all the questions answered etc.  Meanwhile she was walking with Mark and whimpering off and on.  Finally they got us back into a room and by this time the pain was starting to subside. She went to the bathroom after giving a urine sample and the pain dropped to a one.  They hooked her up on an IV and took blood for testing.  When they came to give pain meds I said what are you giving her--I want to be sure it's safe after the TBI.  They told me it was the strongest pain med they have and some Zofran for nausea.  She's not nauseated I said and now the pain is almost gone.  They verified this with Bridgett and then left the room.  They ran the urine and blood tests and the result was normal for everything. By this time the pain level was zero.  Finally they decided to do a CT and this was normal as well.  The doctor said maybe she has a spasm in her back or is constipated.  Mark said maybe she passed the stone but the doctor said there would be blood in the urine if that had happened.  Anyway, we left at last and got home about 2:30.  Bridgett was exhausted and asked if she could sleep in until 8:00 and I said sleep as long as you want!  While at the hospital her eyes were so tired and bloodshot and I kept telling her that she could sleep for a bit but she said I won't sleep until I leave here.  Anyway I searched online and you can pass a stone without blood so maybe that's what happened.  We will watch and see what happens over the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment