Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Day 347 - Sunday November 25, 2012

Today is the big day of the concert.  Mark took Arrianne early to a rehearsal at the Avery Fisher Hall at the Lincoln Center; her other rehearsals have been at a hotel by Central Park on 7th.  They took a taxi because everyone's feet were shot from yesterday and she still has to stand a lot at the concert.  It actually only took 5 minutes by taxi and he got her there too early, at 8:00 a.m. instead of 8:15 a.m.  They wouldn't let anyone in early (15 minutes) but she stayed outside with other singers she knew from Kalispell while Mark headed back.  He went and picked her up after her rehearsal at 11:00 and she came to the hotel and had some lunch and a short rest.  Then Arrianne and I headed off to the concert while Mark stayed with the other kids.  I got a ticket on a group buy which we did early and it still cost just over $100 so we made the decision to just have me go.  Arrianne headed to the performers entrance while I tried to figure out where the main entrance was.  While looking around I saw the Manhattan temple just across the street and so I was able to get some pictures.  I did find the entrance to the concert hall and went through security and found my seat; there is security just about everywhere like the museums etc.  The concert was amazing!  The choir sounded so great; it was just wonderful.  When they sang For Unto Us a Child is Born I started crying.  This is one of my all time favorites to listen to anyway, but to be sitting in the Lincoln Center in New York listening to my daughter sing it was such a thrill!  Wonderful!  They are making a DVD of the performance and each choir gets a copy that can't be reproduced so I need to find out if there is some way to buy a copy for us.  I just had assumed that we would be able to so I hope we can!!  Afterwards we headed back to the room where everyone was resting and we rested a bit too.  We got the room mostly packed up and ready for departure tomorrow and then we convinced Bridgett to brave a taxi to the Empire State Building.  I bought tickets in advance and we went to catch two taxis (three of us in each one).  Mark told the driver that Bridgett gets carsick and asked him to drive very carefully and slowly and so he did!  It was great and she didn't get sick; of course it wasn't very far to go and we probably could have walked but it was night and dark and windy and also we had walked so much yesterday.  We really enjoyed the Empire State Building.  There was absolutely NO LINE at all, which was amazing.  There were some people up above on the 86th floor observation deck, but not many.  After we went through security there was a small area with pictures explaining things and there was this huge stuffed King Kong standing there.  Mark, Tyler, Arrianne and Stephany walked past it and then as Bridgett and I reached it....it started to move!  I said hey, watch out (but no one apparently heard me) and Bridgett saw him and shrieked and jumped!  Everyone turned around quickly while I tried to explain to her what had happened and not to be panicked that it was just a guy in a suit.  The King Kong guy came and gave her a hug and a kiss on the cheek to mean no hard feelings I guess.  Bridgett said that her heart stopped beating when she saw him move and it really scared her. But, it was alright in a bit and we continued on to the observation deck.  Whew!  It was an amazing sight to see, looking out over all of New York.  They say that you can see 80 miles.  Mark, Bridgett and I looked for a while outside while the wind was blowing and we were freezing and then we headed inside to look out through the windows.  The other kids stayed outside and used the binoculars that you put a quarter in and found the Statue of Liberty and the Brooklyn Bridge.  They came and got us and we braved the wind and cold to look as well.  It was amazing!  I'm really glad that we came!  Afterwards Arrianne, Bridgett and I took a cab back to the hotel, giving the same instructions for a smooth and careful ride and the driver was great.  Mark, Tyler and Stephany headed to Grand Central Station to look around like Arrianne and I had already done; Stephany didn't want to miss it.  I can't believe that she has done so well considering how tired she is.  Of course, she was shot most of today.  Also, I can't believe how well Bridgett has done.  It has been a great trip!  When we got back to the hotel we stopped at the bakery across the street to get authentic New York cheesecake for everyone (Stephany's request as well!).

No comments:

Post a Comment