Friday, November 23, 2012

Day 344 - Thursday November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  I headed out early to get muffins and water for breakfast for everyone.  While out I checked with the doormen and asked about a different and better way to get to the airport.  They suggested the car service and I booked through them.  I had not done this before, because all of the companies had bad reviews.  However, in retrospect I realize that the bad reviews dealt with the airport end of things.  They said that the vans were late, drove around the airport picking up people (and making people carsick, etc.) and that by the time they dropped others off it was a VERY long trip.  This way we will just have our family and head straight to the airport with no delays (in a SUV).  I checked that out before as well (private SUV) but then everyone said let's just do a taxi.  Now we know how great that went!   We all went to the parade together after everyone had breakfast. Of course, we didn't go early so we didn't get any place really good to stand.  We were back from the corner and couldn't see anything but the balloons but it was still fun.  Bridgett lasted for about 15 minutes and then wanted to walk around.  I walked here and there with her for about 30 minutes and then finally we headed back to the hotel to watch on TV while Mark stayed with the kids.  They got back when the parade was over where they were standing but it was still being broadcast on TV so they caught some of it that way.  Then Arrianne and I took Mark to where he could get some New York style pizza and she and I went to buy some Broadway tickets.  We ended up getting some awesome tickets for Phantom of the Opera for Arri, Steph and me. After everyone ate lunch they napped while Arrianne and I went to Grand Central Terminal.  We took a taxi there which was a waste because the traffic was so bad.  We didn't know how far it would be but after getting there decided that we could easily walk back.  Riding the taxi there--30 minutes; walking back--15 minutes!  The terminal was fun to look at and we got some great pictures of the architecture.  After we got back we ate a little dinner and rested for a bit and then headed out for the Phantom.  The theatre was literally a half a block from where we are staying!  It was, needless to say, GREAT!  The only hard thing......while waiting for the show to start I unfortunately let myself think of the fact that Bridgett couldn't go with us.  She still doesn't like lots of noise and doesn't feel good enough to sit that long.  Of course, months ago when we planned the trip we were hoping things would be different; Bridgett was initially looking forward to going to a musical.  But as it got closer I realized that it wouldn't work out.  Still I was going to let her go if she wanted to and then have Mark come pick her up when she couldn't stay any longer, but alas even she realized that she wouldn't enjoy herself.  I started crying in the theater, tears running down my checks as I sat waiting for the production to start.  The girls were naturally upset that I was upset.  Arrianne said she has also tried not to think about it and I know that's how we all feel.  Bridgett is enjoying the trip but it's not like we had hoped it would be.  I finally snapped out of it and focused on the show and like I said it was GREAT!  The cast was great but the Phantom was amazing! It certainly is the highlight of our trip and even if we don't do anything else, the trip was worth it just for this!  It didn't really seem like Thanksgiving day but it was a really good day in a different way.  I miss you Scott, Jaclyn and Weston!  I miss you Jenn, Tyler, Connor and Caden!  I wish everyone could be here with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment